Matthew was previously a partner at leading media firm Davenport Lyons before co-founding Archerfield Partners in 2010. He is well-known for his media law practice and has extensive experience of defamation, privacy and data protection issues.
Matthew acts for a varied client base of corporate clients and individuals in the public eye in both commercial and media litigation. He also represents a number of family offices and HNW and UHNW individuals in respect of privacy and reputational issues both in the UK and internationally.
Notable cases Matthew has been involved in include:
- AJS -v- News Group Newspapers Limited :
obtaining a privacy injunction for the Claimant (a well-known media/sports personality) against “The Sun” newspaper.
- Tracy Dixon & Others -v- Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police :
acting for the Claimant (a former model) in a successful privacy claim against South Yorkshire Police.
- WXY -v- Gewanter & Others  EWHC 1601 (QB):
acting for the Claimant in a successful privacy claim, at the time obtaining the highest damages award in a privacy claim.
- Phil Ivey -v- Genting Casinos (UK) Ltd t/a Crockfords  UKSC 67:
acting for the Claimant in the High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court in what is to date the world’s highest-profile gambling case.
- Representing a Hollywood actor in a High Court data protection/GDPR claim against a UK magazine publisher.